The Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme is for young adults from participating countries and territories who wish to experience life in the United Kingdom.

Requirements for a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme visa

In order to qualify for a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme visa, you will need to satisfy UK Visas & Immigration that:

  • You are aged between 18 and 30;

  • You are a citizen of Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Republic of Korea, Taiwan or are a British overseas citizen, a British overseas territories citizen or a British national (overseas);

  • You have at least £1,890 in savings;

  • You do not have any children under 18 who live with you or for whom you are financially responsible;

  • You have not previously been in the UK under the Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) or in the former ‘Working Holidaymaker’ category.

If you are a citizen of the Republic of Korea, you will need to be sponsored by an employer in the UK and obtain a certificate of sponsorship reference number before you apply. Citizens of other listed countries are sponsored by their government or authority.

Listed Countries:





New Zealand

Hong Kong

Republic of Korea


You can also apply if you’re 18 to 30 and a:

British overseas citizen;

British overseas territories citizen;

British national (overseas).

You cannot apply if you have:

  • Children who live with you;

  • Children you’re financially responsible for;

  • Already been in the UK under the scheme or in the former ‘working holidaymaker’ category.

If your application for a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme visa is successful you will be given a visa to live and work in the UK for up to 24 months (if you turn 31 while you are in the UK, you can stay for as long as your visa is valid).

You will be free to do any type of work (except as a professional sportsperson or doctor or dentist in training) and engage in privately funded studies during your stay in the United Kingdom. You will also be able to be self-employed and set up a company, provided that your premises are rented, your equipment is not worth more than £5,000 and you do not have any employees. Youth Mobility Scheme temporary migrants may also undertake voluntary work and au pair placements as and when they wish.


There is a limit on the number of places available under the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme route. This limit is split between the countries.


Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme visa holders cannot switch into any other category of the Points Based System without leaving the UK.

Contact Us