British citizens or those who are settled in the UK may wish to be joined by their fiancé or proposed civil partner in order to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK.

Fiancé(e)s and Proposed Civil Partners: Main requirements

In order to enter the UK as a fiancé or proposed civil partner, an applicant must be able to demonstrate that:

  • Their partner is a British citizen or settled in the UK;

  • They intend to marry or enter into a civil partnership within 6 months of arriving in the UK;

  • They are in a genuine and subsisting relationship and are both free to marry;

  • They meet the financial requirement; and

  • Any previous relationships have broken down permanently;

  • You will be adequately maintained in the UK without recourse to public funds;

  • There is adequate accommodation for you and any dependents;

  • You speak and understand English to the required level.

Although applicants can often find it frustrating to provide sufficient evidence to demonstrate that their relationship is genuine, the most complex requirement to meet is often the financial requirement. The financial requirement can be met in a number of different ways. Applicants will however need to demonstrate that as a minimum, their partner has an annual income of at least £18,600 or that the applicant and their partner have savings of at least £62,500.

Length and conditions of stay in the UK

Applicants can apply to come to the UK for an initial period of six months. Once their marriage or civil partnership has taken place they will then be able to apply to switch into the spouse and civil partner category from within the UK.

If the applicant has not married or entered into a civil partnership within six months of entry, they are able to apply to extend their leave for a further six months providing that there is a good reason as to why the ceremony has not taken place and they can provide evidence that the ceremony will take place within the next six months.

During their stay in the UK as a fiancé or proposed civil partner, an applicant will be unable to work. However, once the applicant has switched to the spouse and civil partnership category, they will have the right to work.